March 2, 2014

Happy 110th birthday, Dr. Seuss!

Yesterday, Garrett and I joined several other kids and parents at our local library to celebrate what would have been Dr. Seuss' 110th birthday. 

Garrett & Thing 1/Thing 2

The party began with the children's librarian, Cara, reading "Mr. Brown Can Moo!  Can You?" to everyone.  A puppet show followed, and then we made our own puppet, pieced together some giant puzzles on the floor, tried to pin The Hat on The Cat, and enjoyed some cookies and punch.  (And what outing with a 3-year-old would be complete without that 3-year-old attempting to open the emergency exit while his mother colored and cut out the parts for the puppet he wanted to make?)

My earliest memories of Dr. Seuss involved the tradition in our family of reading "How The Grinch Stole Christmas!" at Christmas time and the copy my Grandparents Horton had of...wait for it..."Horton Hears A Who!".  Fast forward to 2010 when some of my wonderful friends threw me a Dr. Seuss-themed baby shower.  My friend, Shelby, sent me "Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go!" to read to my pregnant belly, and I passed it along to my cousin, Alice, to ready to her pregnant belly.  Garrett's book collection includes several board books that I intend to hang onto and read to his children some day.  There are still so many that we haven't discovered yet! 

And just for fun...

If you were one of Dr. Seuss' characters, which one would you be?

1 comment:

  1. How fun! Looks like he had a great time, and so did you, I'm sure. I love this photo!

    ReplyDelete