August 1, 2011

Our Big Trip

Any trip is big when a 10-month-old baby is among the travelers!  Last weekend, Garrett got to meet his great-grandparents, my Grandma & Grandpa Horton, for the first time.  He also got to meet my mom's sister, Aunt Laura, and her husband, Uncle Dave, my cousin, Alice, and her 4-month-old son, Stan, my other cousin, Michael, his wife, Mary, and their 3-year-old daughter, Olivia. 

Our trip began on Friday, July 22nd.  My 11-year-old cousin, Leanna, Garrett, and I traveled to Mom's in Lima, OH.  We had an evening full of yummy homemade nachos and Scrabble Flash. 

Me & Leanna
 On Saturday, the three of us plus Mom traveled to my grandparents' home in Vienna, WV.  (It had been four years - too long - since I'd been there.)  I probably don't have to tell you that their primary focus was on their great-grandsons, Garrett and Stan.  (Stan was meeting his great-grandparents for the first time, too.)  Lots of cameras, lots of baby talk, lots of laughter.  And lots of love.

Garrett really did enjoy himself.  I promise.
 Sunday morning, my cousin, Michael, his wife, Mary, and their daughter, Olivia, came by on their way back to Tennessee from Pennsylvania, so all three of the great-grandchildren were together with Grandma and Grandpa Horton.  Then, Leanna, Garrett, and I went to church with Grandma while Mom stayed at the house with Grandpa.  (He is limited physically these days, but his wit is still as quick as ever, and oh, can he tell a good story!)  About halfway through the sermon, Garrett was becoming rather talkative, so I took him into the 'cry room'.  A few minutes later, another mom came in with her young son.  Eventually, she called her son by his name.  I didn't think I heard her right, so I asked what her son's name was.  It was Garrett, AND his middle initial was W! 

Priceless
Our visit was brief, but it was one I'll not soon forget.  Among many things, motherhood has taught me a little bit about how to live in the moment...to not take a single second for granted.

(Once again, photo credit goes to Mom.  Check out one of her favorites from the weekend here.)

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful time it sounds like you had! And how awesome that you have so many pictures to look back on to remember the trip. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete